Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Snapchat
  • Dugout
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • WeChat
  • Douyin
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages

#U21 #MatchReport #WestHam

Janssen on target as 10-man Under-23s draw

West Ham 1-1 Spurs (Premier League 2)

Sun 13 January 2019, 14:17|Tottenham Hotspur

Reduced to 10 men mid-way through the second half, our Under-23 side came away with a well-earned point following a 1-1 draw at West Ham United on Sunday.

Joe Powell opened the scoring for the home team from the spot on 26 minutes, but within four minutes Vincent Janssen had us level after tapping in from close range. We could have had the lead at the break through a spot-kick of our own, but Kazaiah Sterling saw his effort saved by West Ham’s Joseph Anang. 

We were forced to finish the game - played at Dagenham & Redbridge - a man down, as TJ Eyoma was shown his second yellow card on 66 minutes. Although the hosts had the numerical advantage, we battled bravely until the end and took home a deserved point.

It was a fast start to the encounter as the Hammers pressed high in the opening exchanges. That tactical decision would almost deliver them an early lead, but Brandon Austin was on hand to produce a superb diving save to prevent Powell’s powerful header from creeping in. We grew into the game as the minutes ticked on, however, and were looking dangerous ourselves up front with Sterling partnering Janssen. The pair were linking up nicely and it nearly saw us into the lead as Janssen stung Anang’s palms on 18 minutes.

It would be the home side, though, that would take the lead on 26 minutes, as they were awarded a penalty after Japhet Tanganga was deemed to have tripped Jahmal Hector-Ingram in the box. Powell duly stepped up and slammed the ball past Austin. Their lead lasted little more than four minutes, though, as, when Sterling was sent through on goal, he unselfishly picked out an unmarked Janssen who was able to steer the ball home from close range.

The momentum of that equaliser carried us forward and we should have put ourselves in front through a penalty of our own on 38 minutes. After Sterling had been tripped in the box by Conor Coventry, the forward dusted himself down to take the spot-kick but his attempt was saved well by Anang. West Ham then had gilt-edged chances to restore their lead just before half-time but once again Austin produced the goods, saving efforts from Hector-Ingram and Alfie Lewis.

While the game maintained its tenacity in the second period, both sides struggled to get a hold of the contest, but with just over an hour gone we were down to 10 men. Defender Eyoma was the player given his marching orders following his second booking of the day after he was adjudged to have brought down Hector-Ingram, with the striker bearing down on goal. The resulting free-kick was in a dangerous position for the home side but it was fired straight into the wall before being well cleared.

The dismissal of Eyoma appeared to have little effect on us as we remained resolute at the back and still maintained a threat on the break. Coach Wayne Burnett moved to place substitutes Tashan Oakley-Boothe and Rayan Clarke out wide, either side of Sterling, while in defence, George Marsh dropped back to assist Tanganga. The changes were vital as we prevented the Hammers from threatening our goal, with the home side failing to have a shot on target for the rest of the game.

It was an even-enough game, but we had chances we should have probably converted.

Under 23s Coach Wayne Burnett

Key moment

We had a great opportunity to take the lead as the first half came to a close when we were awarded a penalty on 38 minutes.

Sterling had been picked out well by Anthony Gerogiou in the box and after being fouled by Coventry, the striker picked the ball up and placed it on the spot himself. His strike was powerful and well-placed but Anang read it perfectly, diving low and quickly to smoother the ball.

Coach’s view

Despite playing almost a quarter of the game with just 10 men, Under-23s Coach Wayne Burnett thought we had created enough in the contest to have come away with more than a point: “It was a good response from us to going behind,” he said. “We had chances before then and we had chances again in the first half that we didn’t capitalise on.

“We lost a man with about 25 minutes to go. I was disappointed because we didn’t perform as well as I know we can in the first half and our intensity seemed to improve once we went down to 10 men. We seemed a little bit more energised, people took a little bit more responsibility. We played 25 minutes with 10 men so you'd think we’d be pleased with (the point) but I’m not - I think it was an even-enough game, but we had chances we should have probably converted."

West Ham 1-1 Spurs (Premier League 2)

West Ham: Anang, Johnson, Ngakia, Coventry (c), Pask, Alese, Kemp, Lewis (Rosa 78), Hector-Ingram, Powell, Holland (Diallo 46). Substitutes (not used): Barrett, Harness, Belic.

Spurs: Austin, Hinds, Eyoma, Marsh, Tanganga (c), Duncan, Roles, Bowden (Clarke 76), Janssen (Oakley-Boothe 62), Sterling, Georgiou. Substitutes (not used) De Bie, Reynolds.

Match data

Goals: West Ham – Powell 26 (pen); Spurs – Janssen 30.

Yellow cards: West Ham – Alese 28; Spurs - Tanganga 25, Eyoma 36, 66, Roles 75.

Red card: Spurs - Eyoma 66.

Referee: Carl Brook.

Venue: Chigwell Construction Stadium, Dagenham.

Weather: Light cloud, 11 degrees.