Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Kane strike enough for U18s

Harry Kane hit the only goal as our Under-18s beat Wigan 1-0 at the DW Stadium on Wednesday night to book a place in the fourth round of FA Youth Cup.

Harry Kane hit the only goal as our Under-18s beat Wigan 1-0 at the DW Stadium on Wednesday night to book a place in the fourth round of FA Youth Cup.

Despite the narrow final scoreline, it was a comfortable victory as Alex Inglethorpe's team controlled possession for long periods of the game.

Wigan showed no little determination and fight but were simply unable to carve out a chance with Steven Caulker and Nathan Byrne majestic at the heart of our defence.

However, chances were also hard to find for the lads as the home side dug in defensively. It was a composed, professional display - the ideal recipe for an away tie in this prestigious competition.

Caulker joined John Bostock in the starting line-up - both are eligible under the terms of their youth loans at Yeovil and Brentford respectively - with Kane captaining the side and taking the lone striking role ahead of a five-man midfield.

The game took a while to get going but the first action was decisive. Bostock picked up the ball centrally and played it wide to Paul Jose Mpoku, he then took off and went on the overlap, received the return pass and fired in a low cross to the near post where Kane slid in to guide home. The perfect start.

Kane almost repeated the trick after 18 minutes but was inches away from Ryan Fredericks' cross and both Jake Nicholson and Mpoku tried their luck from distance to no avail.

A couple of sloppy passes in midfield presented Buxton with a shooting chance and you got the feeling that it would either be a mistake or set-piece that would present the best chance of the home side striking back. In the end, it proved to be neither.

There was an injury blow just before the break as Mpoku limped off. He was replaced by Kudus Oyenuga, who went up front with Bostock moving out to the left and Kane dropping into midfield.

The second half followed a similar pattern with us immediately taking control of possession. Chances followed in the early stages as Bostock just failed to meet Fredericks' cross before firing just wide from the edge of the box.

Fredericks' pace down the right flank posed problems for Wigan all night and he had the next effort, firing over after cutting inside Mayer.

Wigan still struggled to trouble Jamie Butler and an ambitious free-kick attempt from substitute Abian Serrano led to a counter-attack. Parrett found Bostock but Chiocchi made a fine covering tackle. Joshua Langley then blocked a goal-bound effort from Parret, Fredericks again the provider.

The last few minutes passed without incident and the lads will now wait and see who they face in the fourth round.

Wigan U18s: Nicholls; Chiocci, Langley, Golobart, Mayer; Crane, Breeze (Serrano, 46), Buxton, Boothman (Amos, 65); Morris (Rugg, 74); Jukes. Unused subs: Williams, Myler.

Spurs U18s: Butler; Waller-Lassen, Caulker, Byrne, Carroll; Fredericks, Bostock, Nicholson, Parrett, Mpoku (Oyenuga, 41); Kane. Subs: Miles (gk), McBride, Lancaster, Francis-Angol.