The awards, which celebrate sporting excellence, coaching, volunteering and performance across eight categories, are now in their 10th year, with Tottenham Hotspur the event’s longest-serving sponsor.
The ceremony at Tottenham Green Pools and Fitness was hosted by London 2012 Forum Chairman Richard Sumray, with awards handed out in front of a delighted audience by Kevin, along with the Mayor of Haringey Ali Gul Ozbek and Commonwealth Gymnastics Champion Steve Frew.
The list of winners included Tottenham Hotspur Ladies’ Lucia Leon, who scooped the prize for Sport Performer of the Year. Lucia has been a regular in the team that has finished in the Ladies’ highest-ever league position (fifth in the FA Women’s Premier League in 2014-15), reaching three cup finals last season, winning two. An attacking midfielder with an eye for goal, she is still only 18 and one of the squad’s most exciting prospects.
Below: Spurs Ladies' Lucia Leon with her award
Councillor Peray Ahmet, Haringey Council Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: “This tremendous event saw us celebrating not just Haringey’s fantastic sportsmen and women, but also the teams of people behind them that make it possible for people in our borough to take part in sport. It was great to have the opportunity to celebrate the contribution sport makes to our area, from better health to community cohesion and teamwork.”
Kevin said: “It was an honour for me to present the awards and inspiring to see people benefitting from the great work that is done around sport in the local area.”
Tottenham Hotspur, through its Foundation, delivers over 6500 hours of free sporting activities each year and works with over 1500 young people every week across Haringey, Enfield, Waltham Forest and Barnet.
The Club works with a wide range of partners who help to develop and deliver creative, innovative and engaging programmes for people from local communities.
Full list of winners:
- Volunteer of the Year: Highgate School (Reverse Inclusion Programme)
- Sporting School of the Year: Gladesmore Community School
- Junior Sports Performer/Team of the Year: Flo Donald (Lea Rowing Club - pictured with Kevin above)
- Coach of the Year: Adrian Klemens (London Blitz / Dynamic Sports Academy)
- Outstanding Contribution to Sport and Physical Activity: Sharon Austin (Haringey Aquatics)
- Disabled Sport Performer/Team of the Year: The Vale School (Tutor Group 4)
- Sport Performer of the Year: Lucia Leon – Tottenham Hotspur Ladies FC
- Club of the Year: WeMove Dance Troupe