PROJECT: PREMIER LEAGUE 4 SPORT
Young people aged 11 – 19 in Barnet, Enfield, Haringey and Waltham Forest
Premier League, Sport England and Youth Sport Trust
Premier League, Sport England, Youth Sport Trust, Badminton England, British Judo Association, English Table Tennis Association, Volleyball England, England Basketball, Pro-Active North London, Enfield Sports Development, Barnet Sports Development, Waltham Forest Sports Development, Haringey Sports Development, Enfield Judo Club, Ellenborough Table Tennis Club, VK Barnet, Whipps Waltham Forest Volleyball Club, Haringey Hawks Basketball Club.
This is a national Olympic legacy themed project that is focused on improving the initial engagement in the sports of Badminton, Basketball, Judo, Table Tennis and Volleyball as well as providing further pathways into community hub club environments. Weekly satellite coaching sessions are provided by us in schools and community settings, whilst progressing into the sports hub clubs is encouraged for the participants. There are regular competitions locally, regionally and nationally and coach education is a key focus for both ours and the hub club coaches. We aim to engage and sustain participation in the five sports whilst growing and sustaining the hub clubs we are working alongside.
• Address the high drop-off rate of young people stopping sports participation after the age of 16.
• To increase new engagement and participation statistics in the five sports.
• To improve junior/youth sports club links.
• There is a need to sustain and increase the capacity of community hub clubs.
• Increase junior membership figures at community hub clubs.
• We are currently running 19 satellite sports sessions across the five sports.
• Over 27,500 young people have been engaged in satellite sessions to date nationally with many young people fast tracked onto NGB performance programmes.
• The programme was awarded the ‘Coaching Intervention of the Year Award’ at the Sports Coach UK Awards.
• Over 650 coaching and leadership qualifications achieved nationally in year one.
• Retention rate of 60% of young people engaged to date.
Premier League 4 Sport is great. I love attending the table tennis sessions at Oasis Academy with the coach and now I also attend sessions every week at the hub club Ellenborough. Since I have started playing table tennis, I have represented Tottenham Hotspur at the Fred Perry Urban Cup and now that I am going to Ellenborough more, I am starting to play in more competitions for them.
Charlie Skeggs, participant