Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


WBA U18s 3-2 Spurs - report from Baggies' training ground

28 January 2015|Tottenham Hotspur

Our Under-18s succumbed to a 3-2 defeat at West Bromwich Albion after a dramatic last 10 minutes at the Baggies’ training ground on Wednesday afternoon.

Trailing 2-1 to the hosts, Ryan Loft lashed home an equaliser with nine minutes left – only for Tahvon Campbell to restore his side’s lead just two minutes later.

It was Campbell’s second goal of the day – his first a spectacular curling effort which cancelled out the Andre Wright own goal that had put us in front in the first half. George Cater was responsible for Albion’s second.

The Barclays Under-18 Premier League fixture had previously taken place in early November, but heavy rain forced the match’s abandonment on 59 minutes – just seconds after we had taken the lead.

It didn’t take nearly as long for us to break the deadlock this time, though, as Albion skipper Wright accidentally diverted Shayon Harrison’s free-kick from the right side into his own net under pressure from Chris Paul with just eight minutes on the watch.

A speculative 30-yard effort from Cy Goddard six minutes later was easy for Albion goalkeeper Ethan Ross, while Harrison drilled into the side netting from 22 yards with Josh Ezewele in close proximity as we tried to extend our lead.

A fine strike from Campbell hauled the hosts back level, however, the midfielder collecting the ball on the left-hand edge of the penalty box and curling into the far top corner with his right foot on 22 minutes.

The hosts kept the pressure on after that, with a swirling wind making life difficult.

Wright steered Jack Hallahan’s left wing cross wide of the near post shortly before the half-hour mark, while Luke Amos was well placed to prevent Wright from going through on goal as Albion tried to get themselves ahead.

Only a point-blank range save from goalkeeper Harry Voss prevented them from doing just that 11 minutes before the interval, the keeper repelling Ezewele’s effort after Sam Field’s corner was sent back across the six-yard box by Wright.

Substitute Ryan Loft crashed a header from Harrison’s corner wide of the far post in the opening stages of the second period, but it was Albion who scored next as Campbell surged down the right and played infield to Brad Sweeney – the latter teeing up Cater to sweep high inside the near post on 56 minutes.

Wright’s shot took a deflection and looped over the bar, while a rising drive from Zak Elbouzedi also cleared the frame of the goal as the home side sought to put the game beyond us.

Not to be outdone, we put together a nice move involving Zenon Stylianides and Harrison. It finished with substitute Lloyd Ross stabbing towards goal at the back post, but his namesake in the Baggies’ goal was equal to it.

Stylianides drilled over the bar from 25 yards, before Wright turned in the area and pulled the trigger – forcing Voss into a diving save at the expense of a corner. From that flag kick, Ezewele glanced a header wide of the far post.

Albion were made to regret that spurned opportunity when we equalised nine minutes from time. Loft played Ross into a shooting position to the left of goal and, after the latter’s effort was parried by the goalkeeper, Loft gleefully rifled home.

Parity lasted less than two minutes, though, as Campbell wriggled in behind our defence and slotted low past Voss’ left hand to quickly restore the home side’s lead.

Without any clear opportunities in the closing minutes, we consequently suffered our second Barclays Under-18 Premier League defeat in four days.

Spurs: Voss, Paul, Muscatt (Ross 66), Owens, Amos, Walkes, Daly (Loft 34), Stylianides, Harrison, Goddard, Georgiou. Substitute (not used): McDermott (GK).