Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Spurs U18s 2-1 Boro - FAYC report

02 December 2013|Tottenham Hotspur

Connor Ogilvie was at the double as we beat Middlesbrough 2-1 in the third round of the FA Youth Cup on Monday evening.

A goal in each half from the versatile defender saw us take a 2-0 lead, before Bryn Morris’ 84th minute strike reduced the arrears.

Our lads never looked in danger of conceding an equaliser, though, as we secured a second win over Boro this season following our 4-0 triumph in the Barclays Under-18 Premier League back in August.

We enjoyed much of the possession in the opening stages at Leyton Orient’s Matchroom Stadium, with Will Miller being denied by onrushing Middlesbrough goalkeeper Joe Fryer in the first two minutes.

Harry Winks was effective at linking up play in the middle of the park, twice looking for centre-forward Shayon Harrison with incisive through balls, only for Boro to close ranks and deny the forward a goalscoring opportunity.

Winks’ searching free-kick was cleared by the Boro defence in the 10th minute, shortly before Nathan Oduwa tricked his way into the box from the left, only to be crowded out.

Our first real effort at goal arrived soon afterwards as Winks played the ball in to Harrison who laid it off for Oduwa, with Fryer making a relatively comfortable low save.

At the other end, Bradley Fewster tried a long-range effort that proved comfortable for goalkeeper Luke McGee, before Oduwa tested Fryer again after a neat interchange with industrious midfielder Josh Onomah.

We went close in the 27th minute as Emmanuel Sonupe collected the ball in our defensive third and embarked on a storming 60-yard run down the right wing before crossing for Harrison, whose flicked effort was expertly pushed away by Fryer at his near post at the expense of a corner.

We opened the scoring from that flag kick, as Winks swung the ball in and Connor Ogilvie lost his marker, heading powerfully into the net with 28 minutes on the watch.

Onomah was marginally off target with a left-footed effort from 20 yards out with 36 minutes gone, before another Winks corner found the unmarked Cameron Carter-Vickers 12 yards out, but he was unable to get a proper connection on the ball and Boro shuffled it behind for another corner.

Boro dangerman Fewster broke down the left on 42 minutes, but was denied by a solid covering tackle from retreating right-back Kyle Walker-Peters at the expense of a corner. Boro went close to a leveller at that point; Priestley Griffiths took the set-piece and found Bryn Morris in space in the box, with Fewster helping the latter’s fierce effort onto the post.

Boro’s Matthew Elsdon was five yards wide with a free header at the back post following Mark Kitching’s corner early in the second period while, at the other end, Oduwa tried his luck from 20 yards with keeper Fryer stranded on the edge of his own penalty box, but Robbie Tinkler was there to block the attacker’s tame effort.

Junior Mondal blazed wide from an acute angle on the left in the 54th minute for Boro, before Oduwa spooned his effort wide after being played in behind the defence by Winks.

Onomah strolled through the middle just beyond the hour mark and fed Winks, who forced a stop from Fryer low to his left, while McGee parried Kitching’s rasping shot away from danger shortly afterwards.

Onomah’s through ball found Harrison in behind the defence in the 64th minute, but Fryer tipped over from a tight angle. Wink’s corner was only half cleared, with Onomah stinging the palms of Fryer with a long-range effort before Boro could clear their lines.

Miller then set Onomah roaming free into Boro territory, but Fryer was there once again to deny the midfielder when he finally got his shot away from 20 yards out.

We doubled our advantage in the 70th minute, Ogilvie curling a stunning free-kick into the top corner after Onomah was brought down 20 yards out.

Miller’s run and tame effort was easy for Fryer as we searched for a third goal on 78 minutes, while a speculative long-range effort from Kitching sailed over the bar at the other end.

Oduwa’s audacious flick from Georgiou’s left wing cross trickled wide, before Fryer made a double save to deny Winks and then Miller from inside the 18-yard box. Substitute Daniel Akindayini tucked in the second rebound, but he was denied by an early linesman’s flag.

Boro pulled one back with six minutes left when the ball ran loose to Morris, who drove low into the bottom corner of the net beyond the diving McGee from 25 yards out.

We never really looked in danger of letting our lead slip, but the visitors did have one last chance to bag a leveller three minutes into stoppage time when Jonathan Helm swung in a free-kick, but McGee showed his authority with a strong punch clear, with the final whistle signalling our progress into the fourth round.

Spurs: McGee, Walker-Peters, Ogilvie, Winks, Carter-Vickers, Lesniak, Sonupe (Georgiou 78), Onomah, Harrison (Akindayini 81), Miller, Oduwa. Subs not used: Vincent-Young, Pritchard, Priestley (GK).