Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Spurs 4-2 Derby U21s - report from Hotspur Way

02 October 2015|Tottenham Hotspur

Josh Onomah, Shayon Harrison, Anthony Georgiou and Anton Walkes hit the target as our Under-21s staged a late rally to beat their counterparts from Derby County 4-2 in a training ground friendly this afternoon (Friday, October 2).

Onomah and Harry Winks, who were both part of our travelling squad for Thursday’s Europa League match in Monaco, each completed 60 minutes at Hotspur Way, although having trailed 2-1 for much of the second half it was thanks to a late scoring spree that we emerged victorious.

Both sides had early chances before we took a 14th-minute lead when Winks won possession and sent Harrison clear down the right side – the latter’s cross being converted by Onomah at the near post.

Isak Ssewankambo caused us a few problems with his aggressive running in Derby’s attack, but after he got himself into a dangerous position eight yards out it was Filip Lesniak who intervened with a well-timed challenge and goalkeeper Tom McDermott gratefully gathered.

The Rams levelled things up on 37 minutes when Alefe Santos picked out Offrande Zanzala on the left side of the box and he lashed past McDermott with our defenders appealing for off-side.

Having looked comfortable in possession and dangerous on the flanks in the opening exchanges, we afforded Derby a bit more of the ball as half-time approached and two minutes into the second period it was the visitors who took the lead. Walkes tripped Zanzala in the box and Callum Guy stepped up to covert the resulting penalty.

McDermott gathered a fierce shot from Ssewankambo at the second time of asking, while Keanan Bennetts, on as a substitute for Onomah, went close for us with a header and a left-footed shot.

We found our attacking rhythm again in the closing stages, however, and Harrison equalised with a neat finish from the left side, 18 yards out, after receiving Walkes’ accurate pass.

Walkes himself then saw a close-range effort cleared off the line and Harrison hit the post after good work in the build-up by substitute Charlie Hayford.

Our late pressure told in the 89th minute, though, as Georgiou cut in from the left and squeezed a low shot inside the near post to give us the lead, before Harrison slid in to the feet of Walkes who slipped the ball past the goalkeeper from close range to complete the scoring less than 60 seconds later.

“It was a real competitive game,” reflected Under-21s Coach Ugo Ehiogu.

“We hung in there a little bit for a 10 or 15-minute period but then we showed quality. The belief is starting to come back – once the boys have that and play with intent and the quality that they’ve got, we’ll open up any team to create chances and that showed today.”

Spurs U21s: McDermott, Walker-Peters (Muscatt), Amos, Lesniak, Veljkovic, Walkes, Goddard, Winks (Hayford), Harrison, Onomah (Bennetts), Georgiou.