Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Spurs 1-4 Sunderland U18s - match report

02 November 2013|Tottenham Hotspur

Our Under-18s let slip a first half lead, crashing to a 4-1 home defeat to Sunderland on Saturday lunchtime.

Shayon Harrison had fired us in front after a cagy opening 20 minutes, but the lads’ recent tendency to concede shortly before half-time was evident again at the Training Centre as the Black Cats levelled, before scoring three times in the second period to condemn us to our second defeat of the season.

Neither side managed to fashion any clear cut chances in the opening stages, with our first real sight of goal coming in the 18th minute. Nathan Oduwa powered down the right wing and fed the overlapping Anton Walkes, who whipped in a cross from close to the byline, only for Kyle Walker-Peters to scuff his attempted volley.

Oduwa sent a good low ball in from the right a minute later, with Sunderland keeper Maks Stryjek smothering it at his near post.

We took the lead on 20 minutes when Will Miller’s ball over the half-way line found Walker-Peters, who rounded stranded goalkeeper Stryjek at the edge of the area before setting up Harrison to fire home.

Sunderland went close to equalising three minutes later when Martin Smith’s corner was met by Ethan Robson, whose volley crashed against the back post.

Will Miller forced a save from Stryjek at the other end after Walker-Peters set him up following a quickly-taken free-kick, before Sunderland striker Lynden Gooch produced a low stop from our goalkeeper Luke McGee with a fierce shot-on-the-turn.

Less than a minute later, Gooch pulled a ball across the face of goal, but nobody in red and white stripes was there to tuck it home.

Sunderland did, however, level the scores in the 41st minute. Robson fired into the net direct from a free-kick, which was awarded after Josh Onomah brought down Gooch 20 yards out.

Nine minutes into the second period we were unlucky not to regain the lead, as Cy Goddard saw his shot blocked by a mass of bodies in the six yard box after good play down the right by Oduwa, before Miller tested Stryjek from just outside the area after being set up by lively substitute Emmanuel Sonupe.

That was the last real effort of note we managed to muster, as the Black Cats seized the initiative and went on to win the game comfortably.

Jordan Blinco’s quick break saw the right-sided player blaze a shot over the bar, before the visitors took the lead in the 67th minute with a goal that Filip Lesniak would rather forget.

After conceding a free-kick for a foul on Smith, Lesniak accidentally diverted Rees Greenwood’s low cross inside the near post after the set-piece was taken quickly by Smith and played out to Greenwood on the right.

It was 3-1 in the 72nd minute as Gooch held off the attentions of his marker and squared for Greenwood, who advanced into the box unchallenged before smashing high into the net.

We were forced to play out the final 11 minutes of the game with 10 men after Channing Campbell-Young, who had only come onto the pitch six minutes earlier in our third and final change, limped off.

Sunderland, though, remained sharp with Blinco pulling a shot wide, before substitute James Stinson headed over the bar from eight yards out after a cross from Smith evaded the fingertips of McGee at his near post.

Greenwood sent a curling left-footed effort narrowly wide as the game entered its final moments, but he made no mistake in the 90th minute as turned away from his marker at the side of the box before squeezing a low shot inside the near post.

Spurs: McGee, Walkes (Campbell-Young 73), Walker-Peters, Lesniak, Carter-Vickers, Maghoma, Oduwa, Onomah (Sonupe 52), Harrison, Miller, Goddard (Georgiou 69). Sub not used: Priestley.