Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Report: Spurs 6-0 Bolton

English League Cup

For the second time in just over a week Bolton Wanderers left the Lane empty handed - this time eliminated from the Worthington Cup at the quarter-final stage by a thumping 6-0 scoreline.

A Simon Davies opener and a ten-minute hat-trick of headerse from Les Ferdinand sealed a comfortable passage to the semi-final draw for Glenn and the boys. Anthony Barness put the second half icing on the cake with a late own goaln before Steffen Iversen notched his first of the season.

Ferdinand passed a late fitness test - certainly nothing wrong with his head it seems - to take his place in the side at the expense of Sergei Rebrov, while Steffen Freund returned to the side after suspension.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was the inclusion of Anthony Gardner for his first start since the final day of last season against Manchester United.

Bolton remained true to their pre-match talk as Sam Allardyce named a side without four first team regulars.

The prolific Michael Ricketts and his strike partner Rod Wallace started the game on the bench, along with Mike Whitlow and Ricardo Gardner.

Before a minute had even registered on the clock, a raking pass by Mauricio Taricco found Teddy Sheringham behind the Bolton defences and in a great shooting position. Unfortunately, Teddy could not dig out his shot and the ball trickled gently back to Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Simon Davies then crossed to Les Ferdinand in a great position towards the back of the six yard box, but while Les' header drifted wide, the offside flag was up. It was a sparky, positive start by Spurs, showing that it is they who are determined to make the semi-finals.

Teddy was then denied by a last-ditch block tackle by Anthony Barness as he bore down on the Bolton goal. On eight minutes, Per Frandsen offered Bolton's first attacking threat from a free-kick after Chris Perry blocked Jermaine Johnson.

A delightful back-flick by Darren Anderton inside the penalty area led to Gus Poyet blasting an effort just wide, and seconds later Ferdinand just failed to get enough power into his header after being fed by Anderton.

The team looked a cohesive unit with the return of Ferdinand, a return that allowed Teddy to drop behind the target man and link with Poyet and Anderton.

The breakthrough came on 21 minutes when Davies picked up in the Worthington Cup where left off against Fulham in the last round.

A cross from the left by Anderton was picked up and quickly laid off in a central position in the penalty area. Waiting was Simon, who fired first time past the helpless Jaaskelainen - the keeper being unsighted by Colin Hendry.

Three minutes later Teddy had an effort cleared by the Bolton defenders after being fed in the area by low cross from Ferdinand. Anderton squandered a similar chance only moments later.

Bolton's lack of chances in the opening 30 minutes was clearly due in part to the return of Freund to the side. Committed as ever, Steffen provided a defensive shield that was obviously much missed at the Valley on Saturday.

On 28 minutes the lead was doubled after a sequence of headers. A long throw from Davies was headed on by Ledley on the right of the six yard box, it was duly headed on by Teddy in a central position and there was Ferdinand to power home a header past the stranded Jaaskelainen at the far post.

The Lane erupted and the joy was increased in the next move of the match. A cross from the right by Anderton bounced once and Ferdinand stooped low to steer another header past Jaaskelainen to make it 3-0 - and a deserved lead too.

That man Ferdy registered a ten minute hat-trick on 37 minutes, a delighted outside-of-the-foot cross from the right by Davies found Ferdinand at the far post and his header back across the goal was true and accurate and found the inside of Jaaskelainen's left-hand post.

Spurs were enjoying total domination, so much so, that if the match was a boxing bout the referee would have had no option but to stop the fight to save Bolton from further punishment.

Anderton nearly added to Bolton's woes with a piledriver of a shot, saved brilliantly down low by Jaaskelainen, just before the break.

Bolton made two changes after the interval, Whitlow replacing Bruno N'Gotty and Ricardo Gardner taking the place of Johnson in attack.

Glenn must have decided that three was enough for Les and Sergei entered the fray at the beginning of the half. Les was struggling with an ankle injury and with the game all but won a change was the sensible option.

It could have been five four minutes after the break when a corner was headed on by Gardner into the path of Teddy, who scooped over from a few yards out under pressure.

The second period was struggling to reach the heights of the first - but that was always going to be a tall order. Rebrov was looking lively in attack, but Bolton seemed intent on damage limitation.

Steffen Iversen got to join the party on 66 minutes, taking over from the skipper who was given a standing ovation. Rod Wallace came on for Bolton at the same time in an attempt to liven up the visitors' attack.

Tim Sherwood was next to enter the play after 71 minutes for Poyet, but the match was effectively over as a contest. In fact, The biggest cheer in second half came when the jumbotron flashed up the Arsenal were losing 4-0 at Blackburn.

Fifteen minutes from time, with the crowd willing Freund to shooooot every time he received the ball, it was Anderton who accepted the invitation and forced a low save from Jaaskelainen, who held on at the second attempt with Iversen closing in.

After four finely crafted goals came the bizarre. Rebrov scuttled down the right and clipped in a low ball looking for Iversen. Jaaskelainen and Barness were both well positioned to block the ball, but both went for it and Barness won - beating his own keeper in the process and knocking into an empty net on 79 minutes.

Bolton were back on the ropes, Rebrov again teased them down the right feeding Iversen, who was blocked in the process of shooting. The ball proceeded to fall to Anderton and he had a double effort stopped, but the second bounced off Iversen's shins and into the net to make it six of the best.