Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Report: Spurs 2-0 Southampton

English Barclays Premiership

What a week for Christian Ziege.

First he had to suffer on the substitute’s bench as England tore Germany to pieces and then, as the first international player to return home, he had to suffer it all again — his team-mates more than happy to remind him of how events unfolded in Munich.

Perhaps what he needed more than anything was another game because he certainly took out any frustrations on Southampton.

Ziege was involved throughout this entertaining, tense encounter and capped his display with the vital opening goal. When the players mention Munich again, he might just point to who is topping our current goalscoring charts.

His second goal of the Premiership campaign came after he took Simon Davies’ pinpoint pass in his stride, sprinted away from El Khalej and planted the one-on-one chance beyond Jones into the bottom corner.

It was no less than we deserved after dominating the second half and Davies’ excellent finish after gathering Teddy Sheringham’s flick with four minutes left gave the scoreline a more realistic view.

The first half went from end to end. Sheringham had a goal disallowed in the third minute when Doherty was judged to have fouled El Khalej and then a purple patch — Bunjevcevic screwed his shot wide from 18 yards, Ferdinand failed to connect with a volley after a delightful Sheringham pass and Ferdinand left two defenders in his wake before cracking a shot wide.

Sullivan’s fine reaction save from Richards’ close-range header caused alarm after 18 minutes and just three minutes later Pahars was inches away from Davies’ low cross.

Our Scottish number one did well to keep his eye on Davies’ deflected shot after 22 minutes and a minute later, Ziege curled a free-kick just over.

Ferdinand was left ruing his luck after 27 minutes when Anderton spotted his run to the far post and his inch-perfect cross was volleyed first time onto the crossbar.

Saints had Bridge to thank for two escapes before the break. The impressive full-back somehow scooped a Ferdinand-bound cross from Ziege over the bar from six yards before, somewhat more fortuitously, Davies’ cross, again bound for Ferdinand, clipped the inside of his heel as he attempted to clear and bounced to safety.

The second half didn’t quite start at the pace but it was a half we dominated.

Mauricio Taricco curled over after 52 minutes, two Ziege crosses caused havoc and Sheringham headed Freund’s cross wide before volleying another Ziege pass straight at Jones.

With time running out, Ziege finally broke the deadlock. Davies spotted his run from the left channel, Ziege nipped the ball away from El Khalej and as Jones confronted him, buried the ball in the bottom corner with the outside of his left foot.

Southampton created little in response and Davies put the issue beyond doubt 10 minutes later, pouncing on Sheringham’s flick, sprinting into the box and scoring across Jones.

Ferdinand will still be wondering how Jones saved his injury time header from six yards — an amazing scoop out — but it mattered little.

All that and no mention of this ‘grudge match’. It must have been a good game.