Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Report: Spurs 1-0 Liverpool

English Barclays Premiership

Last orders at the Lane and another cracker served up.

Final home games in recent seasons have produced Jurgen Klinsmann's wonderful final strike for the club and memorable victories over Sunderland, Manchester United and now Liverpool.

In the end, Gus Poyet's 14th goal of the season was the difference between the sides but few could argue that we were the better side - we certainly carved out the better chances - and deserved to hang on through the expected late onslaught.

The first half was a cracker, one of the best 45 minutes seen at the Lane all season.

The action started as early as the second minute when Teddy Sheringham volleyed over and the skipper was there again when Simon Davies left Jamie Carragher in his wake two minutes later but his header was a fraction wide.

Liverpool, as expected, more than played their part and after Kasey Keller saved superbly from Sami Hyypia's header the visitors went desperately close twice in three minutes.

Emile Heskey's flick from Danny Murphy's corner was cleared off the line and with 11 minutes on the clock, Dietmar Hamann's deep cross was met at the far post by the late-arriving Riise only for his header hit the inside of the post and bounce to safety.

Poyet was next up as a delightful Darren Anderton pass spotted his run into the box. His initial burst was ended by Abel Xavier's tackle but Taricco picked up the loose ball, squared back to Poyet whose goalbound effort was blocked by Hyypia.

Poyet was edging closer and closer to goal and his volley from Taricco's cross appeared to shave the post with Dudek stranded.

The goal was just another minute away. With 40 minutes gone Anderton nutmegged Xavier, his early cross went just over Iversen but bounced back into the danger area off Davies to Poyet and he made no mistake from 15 yards.

There was still time for another chance as our best move of half involving Davies, Poyet and Taricco ended with Sheringham's cross for Iversen, who rose well but saw his header gathered comfortably by Dudek.

There was no let up at the start of the second half. Stephen Clemence couldn't find the finish to a run and trick around Hyypia, Sheringham guided Taricco's cross just wide and at the other end, Michael Owen left two defenders in his wake only for Thatcher to superbly block his shot.

There was finally a lull in the goalmouth action interupted only by long shots from Patrik Berger and Carragher that the faultless Keller dealt with easily.

Poyet was there again with 15 minutes left but his spectacular volley from Anderton's corner was never troubling the target.

With Berger and Nicolas Anekla already on, Jari Litmanen, hero of Liverpool's 1-0 win against us at Anfield, was Phil Thompson and Gerard Houllier's last throw of the dice with nine minutes left.

But still we looked the more likely to score as Sheringham linked play superbly and Iversen hung on the shoulders of Henchoz and Hyypia.

Davies, again so impressive down the right flank, could have put the issue beyond doubt with three minute left when he was played in by Sheringham but Dudek produced a fine save.

A last-minute free-kick frayed the nerves, as did a Riise long throw and a corner in injury time as Liverpool were camped in our penalty area, but Hamann's last, desperate volley wide was the end of it - and, possibly, Liverpool's season.