Mauricio on right-back options at Newcastle
11 August 2017|Tottenham Hotspur
Mauricio Pochettino says the team’s formation will be a factor in who he decides to deploy at right-back for Sunday’s season opener at Newcastle.
With Kieran Trippier having suffered minor ankle ligament damage during last week’s 2-0 win over Juventus at Wembley, the manager must make a call on who will replace him in the starting line-up at St James’ Park.
During his Spurs TV interview after training today (Friday 11 August), Mauricio explained what he’s thinking when it comes to that role on Sunday.
“We have different possibilities to play, different set-ups,” he said. “One possibility is to play with three at the back, another is to play with a back four with Kyle Walker-Peters (in what is) a natural position for him.
“He was good against Juventus but if we play with wing-backs and a player like Moussa Sissoko… we are waiting until the last day to decide. I’m sure that one way or another it will go well.”
Mauricio was also asked whether any of the young Academy prospects who’ve been working with the first team in pre-season could have an opportunity to travel with the squad at the weekend: “It’s always a possibility for them,” he said.
“I’m so happy with the way they are working and it’s always important to give time and work hard to try to settle in our team, to be mature enough. It’s always about time and training with the first team but I’m so happy with how they have started work from day one in pre-season.”