Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages



A Premiership double over Charlton was recorded as the team got back into winning ways in almost emphatic style at the Lane on Sunday.

A Premiership double over Charlton was recorded as the team got back into winning ways in almost emphatic style at the Lane on Sunday.

Two from Jermain Defoe along with one from Jermaine Jenas secured our first win since overcoming Manchester City on the road - a timely triumph that keeps us sitting pretty in fourth spot.

It all added up to a first victory over Charlton in Premiership combat at White Hart Lane and, so good was the performance, that the visitors was rarely in the game. Jerome Thomas netted on 69 minutes, but a comeback was never really on the cards.

Teemu Tainio returned to the starting line-up after missing a game with an ankle injury, but Edgar Davids was not so fortunate and remains sidelined with a hairline fracture of the fibula, sustained in the same game as Teemu's knock, against Aston Villa in our last home game.

Stephen Kelly continued to deputise for the absent Lee Young-Pyo, while Jermain Defoe stepped in for Grzegorz Rasiak, with Lee Barnard drafted in on the bench. Barnard's only other spot of bench warming came the season before last - at Charlton in what turned out to be a 4-2 win. Johnnie Jackson, who scored our fourth goal in that game, also started on the bench.

It was a brightish beginning, a couple of Aaron Lennon darts and combinations between Robbie Keane and Defoe ensuring early Charlton ambition was limited. An audacious little chip by Defoe on eight minutes over the advanced Thomas Myhre - also over the bar - draw appreciation from another full house, certainly in terms of home support, at the Lane.

Michael Carrick was also finding his ranged and a superb chip over the heads of the visiting rearguard so nearly fell correctly for either Keane or Defoe to latch on to.

It took just 13 minutes of this game to record our first goal in the league since Keane struck second in the 2-0 win at Manchester City. Jermaine Jenas prodded the ball to Defoe who immediately had goal on his mind. He shimmied, twisted and shook off his markers before firing goalwards and his effort struck the knee of Luke Young to take the ball high into the net past Myhre.

Martin was forced into change on 24 minutes with Tainio clearly struggling from a challenge made in the second minute. It offered the chance for Tom Huddlestone to make his home debut after an assured display at Fulham in midweek.

It could - and maybe should - have been two on 29 minutes when a Keane flick brilliantly set Paul Stalteri though. Bryan Hughes chopped down the full-back on the edge of the area and, due to the fact that other defenders had come across, the card waved was yellow and not red.

The performance at this stage was such that a one-goal advantage was not doing it justice. The ball was being pinged around with such authority and style, if perhaps lacking the final decisive touch at times.

Lennon came close to scoring his first for the club on 40 minutes when Carrick set him on a run towards goal but, later in the same minute, Keane played one over the top for Jenas and it was 2-0. The midfielder brushed off his marker Chris Powell, kept his calm and slotted the ball low past Myhre for his fifth goal of the season.

There was a scare just into first half stoppage time when Darren Bent's effort from 20-odd yards out rattled the bar, but a 2-0 lead at the break was more than deserved.

Jackson got the chance to make his first appearance of the season after the interval as a replacement for Lennon.

It was three almost straight away when Keane won the ball in the centre circle and rolled it to Huddlestone. The big midfielder looked up and picked out a superb pass to pick out Defoe on the run who, in turn, dinked the ball past Myhre and it rolled into an empty net.

Sheer joy at the Lane that was nearly multiplied ten minutes later when Defoe hassled Hughes and the ball went backwards and Keane was onto it in a flash with it taking a desperate late challenge from Hermann Hreidarsson to deny the scoreline reaching four.

Keane again and Defoe had Charlton rocking as the team showed absolutely no sign of taking the foot off the pedal. However, Charlton did pull back an unlikely goal on 69 minutes when substitute Jerome Thomas embarked on a solo run before firing low past Paul Robinson to his near post.

There was a little wobble in terms of the fluency after the reduction of deficit with the passing not quite as slick as before as Charlton rallied. Robinson was forced into spectacular action to deny Jonathan Fortune's towering header from Hreidarsson's free-kick as we reached 90 minutes.

This should not detract from what was an impressive Sunday afternoon's work and a great result.