Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages



Four goals in a 25-minute spell either side of half-time made sure it was job done against a battling MK Dons side in the third round of the Carling Cup on Wednesday night.

Four goals in a 25-minute spell either side of half-time made sure it was job done against a battling MK Dons side in the third round of the Carling Cup on Wednesday night.

Two goals each from Mido and Jermain Defoe in that spell put the issue beyond doubt.

However, the home side made sure it was tough in the early exchanges and we didn't completely settle down until Mido swept home the first goal from Reto Ziegler's cross after 34 minutes.

Our Carling Cup guard - which included first starts of the season for Radek Cerny, Paul Stalteri and Anthony Gardner - stepped out at a rainy National Hockey Stadium in chocolate brown to take on the team formerly known as Wimbledon FC led by Edgar Davids.

It was MK's forward combination that rattled our back four in the opening minute when Clive Platt threaded the ball through to Izale McLeod and it took Gardner to ensure Cerny was not forced into any early work. The home side were pretty lively on a surface where the ball was zipping around and Lloyd Dyer was posing a few little problems for Stalteri down the left flank.

Skipper Davids was responsible for our first effort on target on 12 minutes and after that point the game was suffering from a lack of the cut and thrust you would usually associate with these occasions.

That was until Mido struck his second goal in two games on 34 minutes. It was a sweetly stuck low-ish cross put in from the left by Reto Ziegler that the striker made a sweet connection with and swept past Adolfo Baines in the home goal.

It was a strike not in keeping with the quality of game at that point, but it seemed to spark MK back into life and twice in the moments after there was the need for some last-ditch defending.

However, the the lead was doubled on 42 minutes and Mido again played a big part. He cleverly prodded the ball through for his strike partner Jermain Defoe to chase and the little hitman was cool as you like in front of goal, slipping past the advancing Baines to secure a commanding advantage going into the break.

Calum Davenport made way for Michael Dawson after the interval and the next action was at the end he was defending when Dean Lewington was not greatly wide with his well struck free-kick.

MK respite was short-lived and it was 3-0 just six minutes into the half. Tom Huddlestone was the architect with a skilfully executed ball into the area and into the path of Defoe, who finished with aplomb from six or seven yards out.

The boys were well and truly calling the shots as the zip and confidence appeared to evaporate from the home side, especially when score hit four on 59 minutes. Danny Murphy slipped the ball through to Defoe, whose effort was blocked by Baines. The keeper could do nothing about the rebound which was drilled in by Mido for his second.

Defoe could then have helped himself to another, but rolled the ball wide of the far post when confronted with just Baines in front of him.

Aaron Lennon was inflicted on a defeated opposition and Huddlestone withdrawn on 71 minutes. He was soon at it with his trademark darting runs, adding a new dimension to what developed into the very composed cup performance.

At the other end the deficit was nearly reduced when the impressive McLeod struck the post, then over late in the second period and it was probably typical of a side managed by Martin Allen that they never gave up.

It most likely all went to plan - draw the sting from enthusiastic opponents early on, get a goal and then ease through the gears. Job done and round four beckons.