Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Legends latest

25 July 2013|Tottenham Hotspur

A busy summer for the Spurs Legends team continues this Sunday (July 28) as the lads return to White Notley FC near Braintree.

Our ever-popular veterans’ side, which regularly features names from the 1980s and 1990s such as Mark Falco, Tony Galvin, Paul Miller and Stuart Nethercott, returns to the Essex club a year after running out 6-5 winners in a thrilling encounter.

The match takes place at White Notley FC, Oak Farm, The Street, Faulkbourne, Witham, Essex, CM8 1SF. Kick-off will be at 2pm, with tickets available on the day.

Last Sunday, Ramon Vega marked his ‘debut’ for the Legends with a first half goal as the lads took on a considerably younger and more mobile Hertford North End FC on another sweltering afternoon.

Vega also had a hand in Paul McVeigh’s wonder goal after the interval, but with fast pace at their disposal late in the game, Hertford took advantage to secure a 4-2 victory.

Spurs found themselves penned in their own half in the opening moments, with Vega powerfully heading away a cross, allowing right-back Paul Miller to mop up the loose ball.

Tottenham’s first attack resulted with the ball being knocked into the net by striker Steve Slade after a good build-up down the right involving David Howells and McVeigh, but an early linesman’s flag saw the effort ruled out for off-side.

Spurs began to have more of the possession as the half wore on, with Vega riding two tackles and surging forward before seeking out McVeigh up front, only for a Hertford defender to cut out the danger.

A Hertford forward went surging through one-on-one with Spurs goalkeeper Gareth Howells at the other end, but a heavy touch by the striker allowed Howells to gather the ball comfortably.

Hertford squandered another one-on-one chance as the ball sailed over the bar shortly afterwards, before the hosts took the lead in the 15th minute, with Ricky Smart sweeping home at the back post after a low ball across the face of goal from the right side.

McVeigh was denied the chance to put a productive end to a slick move involving Howells and Slade as the ball was put behind for a corner, while the latter also found the side netting after beating his marker at the near post a couple of minutes later.

Garry Brooke’s 18-yard free-kick in the 29th minute failed to cause any real trouble for the home side’s goalkeeper, while McVeigh shot straight at the Hertford custodian shortly afterwards as Spurs continued to seek a leveller.

The Legends’ pressure finally told two minutes before the interval as Slade got to the byline and pulled the ball back across goal for Vega to slot home from close range, the former Switzerland international marking his first appearance for the Legends side by getting on the scoresheet.

The Legends came out after the break and enjoyed long spells of possession, and it wasn’t long before they took a 2-1 lead. McVeigh played a neat one-two with Vega in midfield and curled a right-footed shot over the advancing defenders and into the far top corner, with the Hertford keeper beaten all ends up.

Hertford, though, refused to give in and when Mark Summers curled the ball into the top corner from outside the box on 63 minutes to equalise out of the blue, the hosts seemed to rediscover their pace and went back on the offensive.

However, Spurs won the ball back in midfield for the most part and caused Hertford problems with a sustained minute of attack, with numerous aerial balls being whipped into the box and nodded down by Stuart Nethercott, only for Hertford to crowd out the danger.

David Howells tried a long-range shot on 77 minutes that curled wide of the post, but a fast-paced counter attack in the moments that followed proved impossible for the veteran stars to deal with, as Steve Summers rolled the ball into the net.

Any latecomers might have struggled to believe that Spurs were behind, such was the continued trickery demonstrated by Howells, Kevin Watson and McVeigh in the middle of the park, but after the visitors switched to three at the back as they chased the game, another quick burst of pace allowed Steve Summers to complete the scoring with two minutes left.

There was, however, still time for David Howells to test the Hertford goalkeeper with a well-struck drive from just inside the area, with what proved to be the last action of the game.

Spurs Legends: Gareth Howells, Paul Miller, Tony Galvin, Ramon Vega, Stuart Nethercott, Garry Brooke, David Howells, Kevin Watson, Steve Slade, Paul McVeigh, Justin Edinburgh. Subs: Mark Stimson, Warren Gravette, Micky Jarrett, Micky Southam, Trevor Wilkinson, John Lacy.

With thanks to Billy Shaw...