Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Legends eyeing response at Ware

29 September 2015|Tottenham Hotspur

The Spurs Legends side will look to bring their regular season to a close in winning fashion this Sunday (October 4) at Ware FC.

The team of ex-White Hart Lane favourites will be taking on The Angel Veterans in the final match of their 2015 campaign.

Kick-off will be at 2pm with tickets available on the day. The full address of the venue is: Ware FC, Wodson Park, Wadesmill Road, Ware, Hertfordshire, SG12 0UQ.

Three goals in the final 16 minutes saw the Legends slip to defeat against a Tony Gay Select XI at Thurrock FC in Essex this past Sunday (September 27).

Darren Anderton’s free-kick had seen the lads take a 2-0 lead, but the introduction of a number of past and present professionals in the second period tipped the balance in the hosts’ favour and the Legends ended up on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline.

Former midfielder David Howells watched on from the dugout, with the first half a quiet affair – the centre-half pairing of Stuart Nethercott and Justin Edinburgh keeping the home side at arm’s length.

Anderton picked out striker Micky Jarrett to fire the Legends ahead from the right side of the box just five minutes in, while goalkeeper Gareth Howells dived low to his right to keep out a long-range effort just beyond the half-hour mark to keep his side in front.

Anderton tried a similar shot at the other end within 60 seconds, forcing the goalkeeper to tip the ball around his left-hand post – and it was he who doubled the Legends’ advantage four minutes into the second half, his low free-kick going through the defensive wall and creeping beyond the keeper.


The Select XI hit back two minutes later, though, as Steve West nodded home following a cross from the right, although the Legends went close to restoring their two goal lead when Anderton broke through the middle within 60 seconds – he had options left and right in Edinburgh and Mark Gower (pictured, above), he went for the latter, but Gower’s fierce drive from the angle was beaten away by the keeper.

The Legends’ goal came under siege after that, with Mark Falco heading off the line following a header from a corner, with keeper Howells then making two fine saves in as many minutes to keep the hosts at bay.

Gower went close from the left side of the area at the other end, but the equaliser came in the 71st minute as Aaron McLean forced the ball home after a scramble in the area.

Howells made another low save but was powerless to prevent Leroy Griffiths from tucking home the rebound as the Select XI took the lead three minutes later, with Anderton left frustrated in his attempts to haul the Legends back on level terms in the moments that followed.

His free-kick from just outside the box crept under the wall but was stopped on the line by the keeper, while he was denied again by the custodian five minutes later as he ran onto Gower’s right wing cross and pulled the trigger at the first time of asking.

The hosts completed the scoring in the closing stages, though, as Bertie Brayley turned in the box and fired home on 83 minutes before Tony Gay netted from the penalty spot with the last kick of the game after defender Brian Statham was adjudged to have committed a foul as he collided with an attacker just inside the area.

Spurs Legends: Gareth Howells, Andy Edmonds, Justin Edinburgh, Kevin Watson, Stuart Nethercott, Brian Statham, Mark Gower, Darren Anderton, Trevor Wilkinson, Micky Jarrett, Mark Falco. Substitutes: Glen Southam, Micky Southam, Aaron Chinery.