Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Late goal denies us at St James'

A second half goal from Jermain Defoe was not enough to secure a first Premier League win at St James' Park since 2004 as Newcastle hit back with a late strike to snatch a point on Sunday afternoon.

A second half goal from Jermain Defoe was not enough to secure a first Premier League win at St James' Park since 2004 as Newcastle hit back with a late strike to snatch a point on Sunday afternoon.

The last league win at this venue was achieved courtesy of Thimothee Atouba back in the days of Jacques Santini and repeating the trick looked the likely outcome when Defoe, off the bench only minutes before, scored on 68 minutes to make it 2-1 in our favour.

But Newcastle rallied and their spirited response was rewarded when substitute Shola Ameobi struck in the 86th minute.

Jake Livermore was drafted into central midfield in order to provide a shield alongside Scott Parker, with Luka Modric returning to the left. Gareth Bale started on the right while Rafa van der Vaart dropped in behind Emmanuel Adebayor.

The opening 10 minutes saw the team in purple calling the shots to a large extent, without actually mustering one that really troubled Tim Krul in the Newcastle goal.

The approach play though was sharp and snappy as openings were sought on a bright and mild afternoon in the north east.

The first such sortie came when Adebayor cleverly elected to leave a low cross from Benoit Assou-Ekotto and the ball looked set to fall nicely into the path of van der Vaart until the Dutchman was pipped at the last second.

newc a

Adebayor was a big striding presence up top, galloping across the home back line and keeping the defence occupied at all times. He was just a stride short when van der Vaart chipped into the area after a clever link with Bale.

At the other end, Brad Friedel saw his first action when Ryan Taylor's dipping free-kick had to be smartly gathered. The American was assured in his work. A Demba Ba header on 23 minutes proved a comfortable exercise for the goalkeeper as Newcastle began to claw their way into the game.

Just before the half hour mark came an enforced change when Ledley King was replaced by Sebastien Bassong - to loud jeers from the fans of his former club.

The initiative, that was briefly with Newcastle as momentum built up a little, was wrestled back as the clock ticked towards half-time and on 38 minutes a run into the area resulted in the deadlock being broken.

Jake Livermore won possession, Adebayor took the ball on and was felled by Stephen Taylor. After a few moments of deliberation, referee Mr Probert signalled penalty and it was van der Vaart who was charged with the duty of opening the scoring, which he duly did, firing to Krul's left.

The home fans were not happy with the decision and noise levels inside the ground increased as a result.

It went up a good few notches at the beginning of the second half when a Jonas Gutierrez run and cross was timed for the arrival of Ba at the far post, the striker connected with the cross and the legs of Friedel could not prevent the ball from crossing the line from close range.

Modric then began to mesmerise, with two runs deep into home territory combining power and skill. The second led to Adebayor being supplied to the right of the area, with the striker shooting across the face of goal and inches wide. Gabriel Oberton then shot a foot or so wide at the other end.

Modric weaved into the area on 57 minutes and teed up van der Vaart, but Krul was able to field his effort with ease.

Kyle Walker was labouring after receiving lengthy treatment following a hefty blow, but the next change was the introduction of Jermain Defoe in place of van der Vaart on 63 minutes.

Parker brilliantly threaded through to Defoe on the charge shortly after the change after combining with Bale, but Krul was quickly off his line.

The little hitman was not to be denied though and, after Parker and Adebayor, conspired to supply him with the ball on the edge of the area, Defoe spun and dispatched a low drive past Krul on 68 minutes. It was a typical Defoe finish - quick out of the feet and deceptive for goalkeepers.

Alan Pardew responded with a double change, bringing on Hatem Ben Arfa and Shola Ameobi in a bold attacking move.

Cheik Tiote forced a fingertip save from Friedel with a thumping drive on 80 minutes as Newcastle battled for parity, with a Taylor free-kick also working the goalkeeper to his left.

There was little Friedel could do with five minutes remaining as Ameobi turned in the area and smashed into the bottom corner to the delight of most of a crowd of 46,420.

There was a chance for Modric after another weaving run, but he could not get enough power in his shot to trouble Krul before Defoe did work the goalkeeper, who reacted well to parry his piledriver away.

Adebayor was replaced by Pavlyuchenko with a few minutes and stoppage time remaining, but it was Fabricio Coloccini who missed something of a sitter after a goalmouth melee during the second of five minutes stoppage time.

Stoppage time elapsed and the final outcome was a first league draw of the season.

Newcastle: Krul; Simpson, Coloccini, S Taylor, R Taylor; Simpson (Santon, 77), Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ba (Ben Arfa, 71), Best (Ameobi, 71). Unused subs: Elliot, Lovenkrands, Marveaux, Gosling.

Spurs: Friedel; Walker, Kaboul, King (Bassong, 31), Assou-Ekotto; Bale, Livermore, Parker, Modric; Van der Vaart (Defoe, 64); Adebayor (Pavlyuchenko, 89). Unused subs: Cudicini, Rose, Giovani, Townsend.

Goals: Newcastle - Ba (48), Ameobi (86). Spurs - Van der Vaart (penalty, 40), Defoe 68.

Referee: Mr L Probert.

Attendance: 46,420.