Harry's 22 - pride, stats and history
04 April 2016|Tottenham Hotspur
Harry Kane's outstanding goalscoring form has seen records tumble on a regular basis over the last year or so.
The latest is a notable one - his goal against Liverpool took him to 22 in the Premier League so far this season and that means he has now scored more goals in a Premier League campaign than any other Spur.
A typical Kane goal, Harry's strike - holding off Dejan Lovren, turning and firing home all in one movement - earned a point at Anfield and in doing so overtook our previous best total of 21 held by Teddy Sheringham (1992-93), Gareth Bale (2012-13) and Harry himself last season.
Just think of some of the names in our Premier League history - Teddy, Jurgen Klinsmann, Les Ferdinand, Robbie Keane, Jermain Defoe, Dimitar Berbatov, Rafa van der Vaart and Bale - and now Academy graduate Harry has topped the lot.
It was mixed emotions for the 22-year-old at Anfield, the team was so determined to land all three points, but he was rightly proud when told of his latest mark.
"It’s a great achievement and one I’m very proud of," he said. "I wasn’t really thinking about that until you guys told me! It’s nice. I set myself targets at the start of the season, 21 last season, I’m on 22 now but there are plenty of games left and I’ll be looking to get a few more goals and a few more wins as well."
Flashback! Harry speaks to Spurs TV after his first Premier League goal against Sunderland, April 2014
PREMIER LEAGUE TOP GOALSCORERS - SEASON BY SEASON
92-93 – Teddy Sheringham 21
93-94 – Teddy Sheringham 13
94-95 – Jurgen Klinsmann 20
95-96 – Teddy Sheringham 16
96-97 – Teddy Sheringham 7
97-98 – Jurgen Klinsmann 9
98-99 – Steffen Iversen 9
99-00 – Steffen Iversen/Chris Armstrong 14
00-01 – Les Ferdinand 10
01-02 – Gus Poyet/Les Ferdinand 10
02-03 – Robbie Keane 13
03-04 – Robbie Keane 14
04-05 – Jermain Defoe 13
05-06 – Robbie Keane 16
06-07 – Dimitar Berbatov 12
07-08 – Robbie Keane/Dimitar Berbatov 15
08-09 – Darren Bent 12
09-10 – Jermain Defoe 18
10-11 – Rafa van der Vaart 13
11-12 – Emmanuel Adebayor 17
12-13 – Gareth Bale 21
13-14 – Emmanuel Adebayor 11
14-15 – Harry Kane 21
15-16 – Harry Kane 22 in 32 so far
Below: Harry speaks to Spurs TV at Anfield
- 11 goals in his last 11 Premier League appearances and six in his last four
- One goal in his first nine PL matches this season, 21 in 23 since
- 12 goals in his last 12 away games in the PL
- Most attempts at goal (102, 131 including blocked) and most on target (64, 18 ahead of Jamie Vardy)
- Five out of five penalties scored in the PL this season
- Harry has started our last 60 PL matches
- Harry is the first Spur to hit back-to-back league 20s since Martin Chivers (1970-72)
- Last season, became first Spur to score 30-plus goals (31) in a season since Gary Lineker (1991-92)
- Also became first home-grown striker to hit 20-plus since Mark Falco in the mid-1980s
- 27 PL goals in calendar year (2015) was most of any PL player and record for Spurs
- Named PFA Young Player of the Year in 2015, scooped both Club POY and named in PFA PL Team of Year
- Now capped 10 times by England, scored four goals
- Scored 73 seconds into his England debut against Lithuania (March, 2015) - third-fastest England debut goal behind the great Bill Nicholson (19 seconds in 1951) and John Cock (30 seconds in 1919).