Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Forest 1-2 Spurs (FAYC) - report from City Ground

18 February 2015|Tottenham Hotspur

Two goals in three minutes from Kyle Walker-Peters and Ismail Azzaoui gave our Academy side a 2-1 victory at Nottingham Forest in the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday evening.

Following a goalless first period, the duo struck shortly after the hour mark and, after Matthew Cash pulled a goal back for the hosts, we saw out the rest of the game without fuss to book a two-legged semi-final with Chelsea.

There was one change from the side that defeated Manchester United in the previous round with Armani Daly replacing Anthony Georgiou on the right side of midfield.

The hosts attacked from the off in front of more than 4,000 fans at the City Ground, but we dealt with their lively start maturely and as the match developed it was clear that right-back Walker-Peters was going to be a threat – often cutting infield and charging through the middle.

It was his error, however, that presented Forest with their first sight of goal, Oliver Burke latching onto his wayward pass and invading the box but goalkeeper Harry Voss was out quickly to deny him.

Josh Onomah scuffed a shot wide from 20 yards out after being teed up by Azzaoui a minute later, while a floated cross from the left by Forest’s Tom Gamblen evaded everyone in the box and drifted out for a goal-kick in our favour.

We went close on 11 minutes when another of Walker-Peters’ central forays saw him pass forward, with Shayon Harrison’s shot on the turn being tipped low around his right-hand post by home goalkeeper Tim Erlandsson.

Harrison had the ball in the net six minutes later, but he was adjudged to have handled it as he controlled Luke Amos’ ball over the top on his chest and his effort didn’t stand.

A spell of penalty area pinball followed as we applied pressure without carving out any clear shooting opportunities, while Forest almost edged in front when Jack Kelly curled a free-kick just over the bar from a central position after Amos had upended Gerry McDonagh.

The home side’s skipper, Adam Crookes, played Gamblen in down the left channel on 34 minutes, but Voss was again out swiftly to bravely dispossess him at his feet.

Onomah’s free-kick in the 41st minute cleared the wall but bounced comfortably through into the arms of Erlandsson, while the same player tried to pick out the run of Harrison in first half stoppage time, but his pass was cut out.

Much like Forest got straight on the front foot in the first period, we attacked immediately after the interval and continued to put the home side under pressure.

Ryan Yates was forced to head Daly’s right-wing cross away for a corner, while Erlandsson was there to palm away Azzaoui’s angled shot as we caused Forest problems, before one of our best chances of the game arrived on 54 minutes. Harrison worked himself into a shooting position outside the box and pulled the trigger, Erlandsson parrying the ball back out. Azzaoui couldn’t capitalise on the loose ball, though, and the match remained scoreless.

Walker-Peters’ cross was hooked away by Joe Worrall, while Forest substitute Luke Thomas volleyed wide at the other end after Voss got his fists to another Kelly free-kick.

We took the lead on 62 minutes when Daly got down the right before passing back to the supporting Walker-Peters. He surged into the box from the side and drove a low shot past Erlandsson, the ball nestling into the far corner.

Three minutes later we doubled our advantage through Mr Reliable in the FA Youth Cup. Belgian youth international Azzaoui kept up his record of scoring in every round of the competition when he received Anton Walkes’ throw-in, turned in the area and powered a shot across the keeper and into the net.

Harrison curled just over the bar with his left foot after a good run by Zenon Stylianides, but it was Forest who were next to find the net – Cash stabbing home from 12 yards out with 71 minutes on the watch after we struggled to deal with an attack down the right.

Conceding the goal didn’t seem to affect our confidence and we continued to exhibit strength and prowess to allow our forwards to test the home side’s defence. Walkes sent Azzaoui scurrying down the left channel on 76 minutes but his shot took a deflection off a defender and was gathered by Erlandsson.

Substitute Ryan Loft had a chance to put the issue beyond doubt in the second minute of stoppage time after Harrison flicked on Amos’ clearance, but the front man held onto the ball for too long and Erlandsson thwarted him at his near post as he strode into the box from the right side.

Onomah then scooped over the bar after receiving a pass from Harrison, but we had Cameron Carter-Vickers to thank for preventing the hosts from snatching an equaliser in the last few seconds. With 93 minutes gone, the centre-half heroically got his body in the way of a fierce drive from Cash – ensuring we progressed into the last four.

Nottingham Forest: Erlandsson, Yates, Kelly, Crookes (c), Worrall, Iacovitti, Burke, Cash, McDonagh (Walton 79), Walker, Gamblen (Thomas 37 (Karo 79)). Substitutes (not used): Dearle, Burns.

Spurs: Voss, Walker-Peters, Walkes, Amos, Maghoma, Carter-Vickers, Daly (Loft 71), Stylianides, Harrison, Onomah, Azzaoui. Substitutes (not used): Paul, Owens, Ross, Glover (GK).

Attendance: 4,053.