Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Final reserve score: Spurs 2-0 Saints

FA Premier Reserve League South

Les Ferdinand and John Sutton scored the goals as our reserve side registered their first win of the season against Southampton at Broadhall Way.

It was an encouraging night at Stevenage, not only did the second string match the first team in beating the Saints, Steffen Freund completed a successful comeback match with an authoritive midfield performance and Ferdinand topped up his fitness with 45 minutes and a goal.

Southampton fielded a strong side packed with Premiership experience, but a young Spurs side - with the above mentioned exceptions, plus Chris Perry - held their own and emerged worthy victors.

Spurs lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Chris Perry, Stephen Kelly and Ronnie Henry charged with stiffling the threat of Joe Tessem, Kevin Davies and Andrei Kanchelskis.

Steffen Freund, Diego Bortolozzo and Rohan Ricketts occupied the central area of midfield, flanked by George Snee and David Galbraith. John Sutton and Les Ferdinand provided the spearhead.

It was Sutton who came closest to scoring in a cagey opening 25 minutes. He just failed to get a decent connection on Galbraith's cross after nine minutes. He later closed down Saints keeper Neil Moss when poised to kick, but the ball span away from danger.

Southampton began to establish nominal control as the game approached the 30 minute mark and Kanchelskis rifled in a shot that Lars Hirschfeld did well to fingertip away. Mark Draper then shot just over following a cushioned header in his direction by Matthew Oakley.

Despite losing a little ground, it was Spurs who took the lead two minutes before the break. Galbraith darted down the left and dispatched a low cross that Ferdinand met at the near post and squeezed his header past Moss.

Goalscorer Ferdinand did not emerge for the second half and was replaced by Dean Marney, with Ricketts taking up an advanced position.

The opening stages of the second period were fairly even, Ricketts got more involved playing up front and Freund was marshalling the midfield in his customary manner.

Kancheskis was the architect of the main danger, his run and pull back from the right was met weakly be Draper and Hirschfeld was able to deal with the threat. On the hour mark, El Khalej was on target with an overhead kick which the Canadian keeper saved well to his right.

Ben Bowditch came on for Bortolozzo on 65 minutes, giving the midfield a more defensive element as Saints chased an equaliser.

Hopes of levelling however, appeared dashed on 71 minutes when Marney set Sutton free just inside the Saints area and he was felled by El Khalej. Referee Mr Melin pointed to the spot and booked the offender.

There was cries of 'let Steffen take it' from the stand, but it was Sutton who stepped up and sent Moss the wrong way with his kick.

Spurs: Hirschfeld, Kelly, Henry, Freund, Bortolozzo (Bowditch 65), Perry, Snee (Hughes 74), Sutton, Ferdinand (Marney 45), Ricketts, Galbraith. Subs: Jalal, O'Donoghue.

Saints: Moss, Dodd, Benali, Draper, Monk, El Khalej, Kanchelskis, Oakley, Davies, Tessem (Sternham 78), Howard (A Davies 65). Subs: Byles, Blayney, Baird, Howard.