Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Snapchat
  • Dugout
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • WeChat
  • Douyin
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


FA Cup report:<br> Spurs 1-1 Forest

Sun 20 February 2005, 12:00|Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) Football Club is located in North London. The club is also known as Spurs. Tottenham's home ground is White Hart Lane. The club motto is Audere est Facere (To dare is to do).

Gareth Taylor's second half goal earned Nottingham Forest a replay as Sunday's FA Cup fifth round tie ended in a draw at the Lane.

It was hard to argue that Forest didn't deserve their reward after carving out enough chances both in the first half as we forged ahead 1-0 and then after Taylor's equaliser in the 55th minute - Paul Robinson had to save well twice from the lively Kris Commons and Darryl Powell sliced wide from in front of goal.

At the other end, it was a tale of frustration in the second half as Forest managed to get bodies in the way of countless shots and young goalkeeper Colin Doyle - badly at fault for Jermain Defoe's goal but otherwise impressive - spread himself to deny Defoe from close range and then blocked substitute Mido's point-blank effort.

It was Doyle's debut on loan from Birmingham City and he responded well to his error.

Head Coach Martin Jol made two changes from the side that beat West Brom last week with Simon Davies and Noureddine Naybet in for Robbie Keane and Anthony Gardner. Keane joined Mido on the bench.

It was always an open tie with both sides looking to knock the ball around.

Forest, who started 5-4-1, carved out and missed the first opening as Rogers missed the target from close range and although we enjoyed long spells of possession, it took until the 18th minute for our first chance as Ziegler charged down Curtis' clearance only for the ball to spin off Defoe's foot.

Doyle did well to hold onto Brown's curler before another decent Forest chance, this it was all about the Commons, who looks quite a find, who got away from Naybet and Kelly but couldn't beat Robinson.

Youngster Doyle produced the save of the half after 31 minutes to tip Davies' low 25-yarder wide and Defoe had an early sighter from a free-kick when Carrick rolled the ball square to him and he lashed just wide.

Forest hit back again when Taylor rose well to meet Rogers' cross but directed his header straight at Robinson - either side and we were in trouble.

We somehow failed to take the lead two minutes from time when Melville's handball was missed, the ball went loose to Brown who hit the post only for Defoe to hit the rebound over.

The goal eventually arrived seconds before the interval as Doyle faced the downside of a goalkeeper's lot, failing to hold onto Defoe's curling free-kick from 22 yards and then helpless as it landed over the line.

Both sides had shots from distance at the start of the second half with Forest throwing Commons further forward to support Taylor.

Their equaliser came from nothing 10 minutes into the half as Rogers chipped a pass forward and Taylor beat both King and the advancing Robinson to the bouncing ball before tapping home.

Defoe and Ziegler tried their luck before Jol threw Mido and Robbie Keane into the action for Ziegler and Kanoute.

Play continued to go from one end to the other. Robinson did well to claw out Commons' wicked, dipping left-wing cross, Doyle blocked Defoe's effort with his legs and Powell somehow missed the target following in Perch's volley.

Ledley King tried his luck from 25 yards - his effort just wide - and Mido's volley on the turn went straight at Doyle as we entered the final five minutes.

Robinson then had to produce the save of the half as Commons cut in from the right, left four men in his wake and hit a low left-foot shot, forcing the keeper to parry to his right.


2mins: First shot, decent passing move, Defoe set ball for Carrick to strike over from 22 yards.

4mins: Commons shot deflected well wide.

5mins: CHANCE. Forest break, Commons spread ball wide to Rogers, managed to get past Kelly but missed target from six yards.

7mins: Commons driven free-kick from 25 yards deflected and cleared.

9mins: Carrick free-kick, possible shooting chance, floated into Doyle's hands from 30 yards.

14mins: First sustained spell of pressure with Perch off pitch with bloody nose, Ziegler worked a yard of space but goalbound shot blocked by Melville.

18mins: CHANCE. Ziegler charged down attempted clearance from Curtis, ball spun to Defoe in front of goal but couldn't control it.

21mins: Kanoute superb chest control before finding Brown, control and curler from 25 yards that Doyle held well at foot of post.

25mins: SAVE. Commons got away from Naybet and then skipped past the covering Kelly, ran into left side of box, Robinson saved well with legs.

31mins: SAVE. Patient build-up, Brown squared to Davies who hit low from 25 yards, heading for far corner before Doyle's fingertips deflected wide.

34mins: CLOSE. Another Carrick/Defoe free-kick routine, this time Carrick faked to shoot, rolled to his right and Defoe lashed just wide from 22 yards.

35mins: YELLOW. Morgan for pullimg down Defoe.

42mins: CHANCE. Taylor rose well to meet Rogers' fine cross, downward header straight at Robinson who took at second attempt.

43mins: PENALTY/WOODWORK/MISS. Claims for handball when Melville appeared to handle on floor, ball squirted out to Brown who drove across Doyle onto the post, Defoe skied rebound from close range.

45mins: GOAL. Keeper Doyle made complete hash of Defoe's 22-yard free-kick, dropped over his own line.
Spurs 1, Forest 0

Half-time: Spurs 1, Forest 0

46mins: Forest pushed two up front with Commons supporting Taylor.

47mins: Commons curler always going wide.

49mins: Kanoute shot deflected but Doyle always had it covered.

50mins: Robinson spilled Commons low shot, King cleared rebound.

53mins: Brown lashed volley from half-cleared corner just over.

55mins: GOAL. Taylor beat Robinson and King to Rogers' ball over the top and tapped into empty net.
Spurs 1, Forest 1

58mins: Defoe latched onto Carrick's pass, cut into box from right, shot blocked.

62mins: Lovely pass from Carrick into Kanoute, he spun around and cross deep for Ziegler to volley into crowd.

65mins: SUBS. Mido for Kanoute, Keane for Ziegler.

66mins: YELLOW. Carrick for foul on Powell.

68mins: SAVE. Commons cross from left touchline looked to be dipping in to far corner until Robinson clawed it away.

72mins: SAVE. Defoe onto Brown pass, in box, quick feet to beat Morgan, drilled shot that Doyle blocked with legs.

73mins: SUB: Thompson for Evans.

75mins: MISS. Perch hit volley across goal, Powell there to meet it at far post but sliced wide eight yards out.

80mins: Carrick 25-yarder sailed over.

82mins: CLOSE. King broke through two tackles, cracked a shot from 25 yards that curled inches wide.

84mins: CHANCE. Kelly's cross from right missed by a couple of players, bobbled around, Mido volley on turn straight at Doyle.

85mins: Davies tried his luck from 30 yards, flew over.

88mins: SAVE. Brilliant run from Commons, cut in from right, beat four tackles, low shot well saved by Robinson.

89mins: Keane half-chance as ball bobbled around in area but so many bodies in there blocked shot.

Injury time: SUB. King for Commons.

Full-time: Spurs 1, Forest 1

Spurs (4-4-2): Robinson, Kelly, Naybet, King, Atouba; Davies, Brown, Carrick, Ziegler (Keane, 65); Kanoute (Mido, 65), Defoe. Subs: Cerny, Bunjevcevic, Mendes.

Nottingham Forest: Doyle, Rogers, Morgan, Powell, Evans (Thompson, 73), Taylor, Doig, Commons (King, injury time), Curtis, Perch, Melville. Subs: Roche, Bopp, Harris.

Steve Bennett