Are you lost? See if these links help.

Social Channels

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Korean
  • Weibo
  • Youku
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Sites & Languages


Duo return for Legends

07 June 2016|Tottenham Hotspur

Clive Wilson and David Howells both put in a full shift on their returns to action as the Spurs Legends team claimed a hard-fought 4-3 win over Guernsey Rovers Vets in Chigwell on Sunday (June 5).

The pair had spent extended spells on the sidelines but came straight back in and helped the ex-White Hart Lane side make it a trio of victories in as many years against the Channel Islands outfit.

They had to do it the hard way, though, coming back from a goal down on three occasions before snatching the winner with five minutes left of what was undoubtedly the Legends’ toughest test of the year so far.

Wilson started at right-back with Tony Galvin returning at left-back while Howells partnered Brian Statham in midfield on a sun-drenched afternoon at Colebrook Royals FC.

Guernsey began the game purposefully but found the hosts hard to break down. Consequently, it was the Legends who had the first real opening when Howells planted a header wide with 16 minutes gone.

The visitors almost took the lead moments later when front man Andy Simon shrugged off the attentions of Stuart Nethercott in the box but dragged his effort wide.

Simon made no mistake on 22 minutes, however, as he clipped the ball past goalkeeper Gareth Howells, with defender Andy Edmonds unable to prevent it from crossing the line.

The goal stung the Legends into life and they equalised within a minute as Gary Doherty steered the ball high into the net from just inside the box.

David Howells’ turn and shot was then dealt with by Guernsey goalkeeper Franc Leitheiser, who pulled off a number of fine saves throughout the game and was ultimately named Man of the Match.

Guernsey regained the lead on 33 minutes when Simon beat the off-side trap and slotted home but back came the Legends once more as Glen Southam’s cross from the left was accidentally steered inside the near post by defender Kevin Marquand five minutes later.

The sides went in level at the break but the second half was just 35 seconds old when the visitors got themselves ahead for the third time in the contest. Once again it was Simon on target to complete his hat-trick, this time with the pick of the bunch as he controlled the ball on his chest before firing in with a half-volley from the left side of the box.

The game of cat and mouse continued apace, though, and it was all square again only 25 seconds later. Doherty broke through centrally and saw his low shot cannon back off the base of the post, but he was alive to the situation and netted from the rebound, despite two defenders having got back to try to block his effort.

David Howells sent Doherty through again a minute later but this time his shot was wide. Indeed, Doherty had several attempts at goal as the half progressed but keeper Leitheiser stood firm.

Howells tried a shot on 80 minutes but the ball wouldn’t quite come down for him and Leitheiser was able to gather comfortably while Doherty found the unlikely figure of Nethercott galloping into space with the clock ticking down, but the defender’s attempted chip dropped wide of the far upright.

The Legends finally edged themselves ahead with five minutes left as Doherty played the ball short to the feet of substitute Trevor Wilkinson and he bundled home from within a congested Guernsey area.

Both sides squandered chances in the closing stages, but ultimately the Legends had done enough.