- News Archive
A Few Facts On...SS Lazio
A FEW FACTS ON...SS LAZIO
Posted 20 September 2012 12:07am
Tonight's Europa League, Group J opener is the first competitive meeting between ourselves and Lazio.
Here are a few more facts about the Italian giants...
- Lazio were formed in 1900.
- They are nicknamed the 'Biancocelesti' - 'The White and Sky Blues'.
- Lazio play in the Olympic Stadium, Rome.
- They qualified for the Europa League by finishing fourth in Serie A in 2011-12 and then beating MD Mura 5-1 on aggregate in the play-offs, winning 2-0 away and 3-1 at home.
- Lazio are currently joint-top of Serie A with Juventus and Napoli after winning their first three matches this season.
- The last of those matches was a 3-1 win at Chievo with Brazilian midfielder Hernanes (2) and legendary German striker Miroslav Klose on target.
- We are unbeaten at home against Italian opposition in European competition. We beat AC Milan over two legs to reach the final of the UEFA Cup in 1972 and then toppled the same team 1-0 on aggregate to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League in 2010-11.
- This is the fifth time we've played in the group stages of the UEFA Cup/Europa League. Last season was the first time we've failed to progress past the group stages.
- Younes Kaboul and Michael Ciani were team-mates at Auxerre from 2004-07.
- Hugo Lloris and Ederson were team-mates at Nice between 2005-08.
- Carlo Cudicini made one appearance for Lazio in 1996-97, but unfortunately picked up a serious knee injury in that game.
- Lazio's coach Vladimir Petkovic is a familiar face on the sidelines - he was coach of Young Boys, Switzerland when we met them in the Champions League play-offs in 2010-11. He guided his team to a 3-2 win against us in Bern before we hit back 4-0 at the Lane to progress.
- Of course, there is one famous connection between the teams - Paul Gascoigne. The midfielder joined Lazio after his serious knee injury in 1992. Lazio's general manager Maurizio Manzini said: "There is always a corner of Tottenham in our hearts. He is a mythical figure for Lazio fans and very popular in Italy."