Skip to main content


  • U21 Everton home report
Subscribe to newsfeed 

Spurs 4-0 Everton U21s - report from the Training Centre

Posted on 2 March 2015  - 14:39

A fierce wind wasn’t the only thing that blew Everton away in the first half as our Under-21s found their scoring boots in style on Monday afternoon.

Shaq Coulthirst fires home our opening goalHarry Winks in midfield actionRuben Lameiras on the ball

A brace from Shaq Coulthirst with a Connor Ogilvie strike sandwiched in between put us three goals up inside 24 minutes against the Toffees in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League, with Ruben Lameiras completing a 4-0 win from the penalty spot.

Played in blustery conditions at the Training Centre, the match marked our Under-21s’ first win in three after back-to-back goalless draws against Leicester City and Southampton.

And it was a case of job done by half-time, with the second half turning into a midfield battle.

Coulthirst, currently on loan at Southend United but still eligible to play Under-21s football for us, went close in the fifth minute when his angled shot from the right deflected off Ryan Ledson and forced goalkeeper Rhys Griffiths to fling out a hand to keep the ball out – Jonjoe Kenny subsequently clearing at the back post.

A minute later, though, we were ahead as Grant Ward picked out Coulthirst on the right side of the box and he cut infield before firing low inside the near post.

Griffiths dived to his right to keep out Ward’s top corner-bound free-kick on 13 minutes, while Kieran Dowells barged his way through our defence but was denied by a low save from goalkeeper Luke McGee within 60 seconds of that set piece.

Our second goal on 20 minutes was particularly well-worked, Coulthirst finding Alex McQueen as he sprinted in behind the left full-back, with the latter sending in a low centre which Will Miller latched onto. He turned in the area and ferried the ball out to the left, with Connor Ogilvie running on and firing into the far corner.

Four minutes later and we further increased our lead as Ruben Lameiras robbed Brendan Galloway of the ball in midfield and sent Coulthirst clean through on goal – the forward making no mistake as he slotted past Griffiths.

Lameiras himself added the fourth goal on 33 minutes when he slotted home from the penalty spot, having been tripped by Francisco Junior at the right-hand corner of the area.

The Toffees then had a spell of pressure, with David Henan jabbing the ball towards the far corner after a ricochet in the area and forcing a low stop from McGee, while Callum Connelly’s free header from Dowell’s corner went over the bar.

The second half was a completely different story, both sides taking turns to win the ball back from the other in midfield with clear shooting chances few and far between.

Ward drilled wide of the far post from 25 yards after Ogilvie passed infield from the left on 72 minutes, while substitute Daniel Akindayini’s shot went the wrong side of the upright five minutes later after a Harry Winks wide free-kick was palmed into his path by Griffiths.

The last real shot at goal came from Everton’s George Green on 88 minutes, the substitute curling a free-kick over the bar after a foul by Winks.

Spurs U21s: McGee, McQueen, Ogilvie, McEneff, Khumalo, Lesniak, Lameiras (Akindayini 67), Winks, Coulthirst, Ward, Miller. Substitutes (not used): Muscatt, Paul, Daly, Miles (GK).

Everton U21s: Griffiths, Jones, Connelly (Langton 46), Ledson (Dyson 46), Kenny, Galloway, Lundstram, Junior, Dowell, Donohue, Henan (Green 61). Substitutes (not used): Walsh, Hunt (GK).