Skip to main content


  • Match Report Swindon Town v Tottenham Hotspur 17 Jul 2001
Subscribe to newsfeed 

Match Report - Swindon Town v Tottenham Hotspur - 17 Jul 2001

Posted on 17 July 2001  - 12:00


All eyes might have been on new boys Gus Poyet and Goran Bunjevcevic, but Yannick Kamaman was the name on everyone's lips after our pre-season friendly win against Swindon Town on Tuesday night.

The young striker has been in electric form in our two friendlies so far and having scored twice at Stevenage Borough on Friday, took his pre-season tally to three goals with an excellent strike at the County Ground.

French-born Kamanan, still just 19, was a constant threat down the left channel having taken his place in Glenn Hoddle's second half team.

He twice crossed for Poyet, who, after scoring a hat-trick on his debut, must have left his shooting boots at home this time, and was twice denied by Richard KcKinney in the Swindon goal.

But he finally got his just rewards when he outpaced Juan Cobian to latch onto Steffen Iversen's pass before firing home under McKinney.

Glenn again opted to field different teams in each half - with the exception of Neil Sullivan - and the first half team, although comfortable on the ball, could not turn possession into clear-cut chances.

Les Ferdinand volleyed just over early on but the home side took the lead after 25 minutes when Andrew Gurney carried the ball for 10 yards, realised no-one was closing him down and so opted to shoot from 25 yards - the ball glided off the wet surface into the bottom corner.

Steven Ferguson, Darren Anderton and Simon Davies had our best chances but we went in at half-time trailing 1-0.

We started the second half brightly and Poyet had already just failed to turn Kamanan's cross home when we levelled with only three minutes gone. Oyvind Leonhardsen picked up Iversen's run, threaded the ball through and the Norwegian made no mistake, clipping the ball over McKinney for the equaliser.

As we gained more and more control Poyet, Kamanan (twice each) and Stephen Clemence all tested out McKinney before Kamanan's 81st-minute strike finally put us ahead.

It left a busy press box asking 'who is that number 22?' and the name Yannick Kamanan might just be one they are writing about in the future.

It was left to John Piercy to cap the evening with the third goal. His dribble from full-back was halted 40 yards from goal but Iversen picked up the loose ball, fed Piercy again and as the home defence waited for the offside flag, Piercy slipped past McKinney before rolling the ball into an empty net.