Craig Dolby is setting his sights high for the new Superleague Formula season that revs-up again in Magny Cours, France, this weekend.
One of the UK's most promising young racers, Craig has taken over from Duncan Tappy and will be behind the wheel for the Tottenham Hotspur SF team for the second season of the championship that brings motorsport and football together.
The Spurs team finished 11th in the inaugural series last year and Craig, who guided Anderlecht to sixth, has no doubts that he's after the title.
"I'm out there to win it, definitely," said Craig, just 21. "It would be great for Spurs and myself to do that - and the opportunity is there.
"The team behind us (Alan Docking Racing) is great and everything seems very settled.
"I'm hitting the ground running this year whereas last season I was thrown in at the deep end somewhat in terms of driving these cars.
"Now I know what to expect and hopefully we'll come up with some good results early on, get points on the board and fight for the championship.
"Consistency is key. My plan is to go out and win race one and then see how far I can get up the grid in race two.
"Everything looks good and I feel confident.
"I'm really proud to drive for an English club. I can't wait to meet the Spurs fans and hopefully see them supporting me as well as the football team. It means everything to me to drive for Spurs, a great honour."
MORE ABOUT SUPERLEAGUE FORMULA...
- There are 18 teams in the 2009 SF championship - AC Milan, Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Spurs, Roma, Lyon, Sporting Lisbon, Rangers, Galatasaray, PSV, Porto, Flamenco, Anderlecht, Corinthians, Olympiacos, Basel, FC Midtjylland.
- In qualifying, the teams are split into two groups and go through quarter-finals, semi-finals and eventually a pole position shoot-out to determine grid positions.
- As in 2008, race day will feature two 45-minutes showdowns, the second with a reverse starting grid taken from the finishing results of the first.
- ‘Super Final' - The action-packed schedule will now reach its thrilling climax with a third race for the top three finishers from the first two races. This special six-car ‘shoot-out' will decide the overall ‘Weekend Winner'. Extra championship points will not be on offer but the final results will determine the distribution of each event's €333,000 prize fund.
- Engines - Specially designed and manufactured exclusively for the series by Menard Competition Technologies in Oxfordshire, England, the advanced 4.2-litre V12 is fitted to all the single-seater racers that represent many of the world's top football clubs on the vibrant Superleague Formula grid.
- Beijing Gouan won the inaugural title in 2008 by an impressive 76 points from PSV.
SUPERLEAGUE FORMULA - RACE DATES, 2009...
27/28 June Magny-Cours, France
18/19 July Zolder, Belgium
01/02 August Donington Park, UK
05/06 September Estoril, Portugal
03/04 October Monza, Italy
07/08 November Jarama, Spain