Skip to main content


  • Back with a bang!
Subscribe to newsfeed 

Back with a bang!

Posted on 16 December 2009  - 12:00

Harry Redknapp's men bounced back from the disappointment of the weekend's defeat against Wolves with a massive victory over Manchester City at the Lane.

Back with a bang!

Harry Redknapp's men bounced back from the disappointment of the weekend's defeat against Wolves with a massive victory over Manchester City at the Lane.

The Blues came to N17 having been defeated just once all season, but our fellow top-four hopefuls were put to the sword in an impressive display.

Two goals from the in-form Niko Kranjcar and yet another from Jermain Defoe were backed up by a superb rearguard action as we stay well in the hunt for a Champions League place.

Redknapp made just one change from the side defeated on Saturday, with Peter Crouch coming back into the side for Robbie Keane, who dropped to the bench.

City had the lion's share of possession during the opening stages of the first half with a front quartet of Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tevez, Robinho and Stephen Ireland having us pinned back.

But defenders Michael Dawson and Sebastien Bassong were reading everything thrown at them, and with City holding a high defensive line, we were able to pick them off on occasions.

It helped that Aaron Lennon had the better of Brazilian left-back Sylvinho and it was down our right flank where a lot of our attacking play sprung from.

On eight minutes, a clever back-heel from Crouch released the England winger, and he pulled back for Kranjcar to shoot wide from 10 yards when he perhaps should have done better.

As the half went on, we began to gradually push City back further into their own half, and we certainly had their defence sprawling 10 minutes before half-time.

Lennon skipped past the hapless Slyinho and looped in a cross that Crouch climbed to meet, and although his goal-bound header struck Ireland, Kranjcar was on hand to ram home with Shay Given grounded.

And from there we finished the half well on top, with Given having to race off his line to close down Crouch soon after.

We carried this momentum into the second half and doubled our lead on 53 minutes thanks to some route one stuff!

Heurelho Gomes' big goal-kick was met by Crouch who flicked on for Defoe to get in behind the defence and steer home his 13th league goal of the season.

And unlike in recent dominant performances against Aston Villa and Everton, we managed to kill this game off without coming under any sort of real pressure until the closing stages.

If anything, it was frustrating that we could not make more of the opportunities we created to put the game beyond doubt earlier.

But our defence, with captain Dawson in outstanding form especially, never looked engdangered despite City's wealth of attacking talent.

Gomes was not forced into a meaningful save until four minutes from time when he parried away Martin Petrov's free-kick.

And City's best chance of the game came a minute later when Petrov picked out Adebayor unmarked six yards out, but he could only put over.

The game was then put beyond doubt when Lennon worked a short corner with Kranjcar and the latter ran on into the box, beating two defenders before sliding through the legs of Given to seal a massive win.

Spurs (4-4-2): Gomes; Corluka, Dawson, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto (Bale, 90); Lennon, Huddlestone, Palacios, Kranjcar; Crouch, Defoe (Jenas, 90)
Subs not used: Alnwick, Hutton, Modric, Keane, Pavlyuchenko

City (4-4-2): Given; Richards, Toure, Onuoha, Sylvinho; Ireland, De Jong (Petrov, 71), Barry, Robinho (Santa Cruz, 58); Tevez, Adebayor
Subs not used: Taylor, Zabaleta, Kompany, Weiss, Benjani