Skip to main content

MySpurs

Ahoy there, HMS Spurs!

Following last month’s excellent article on HMS Hotspur, STEVE BENCH re-surfaces with a look at ships named ‘Spurs,’ including a trawler that saw World War Two action as ‘HMS Spurs.’ In her early days she worked alongside a vessel called ‘Arsenal.’


In August, 1933, Consolidated Fisheries Limited, of Auckland Road, Fish Docks, Grimsby, took delivery of a new ketch-rigged steam trawler named ‘Spurs’ to add to a fleet of new vessels which consisted of several others named after well-known football clubs.

These included Aston Villa, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln City, York City and Arsenal.

Ship_730She was 155’ long with a beam of 26’5” and 12’3” draught and displaced 399 gross registered tons. She had one deck and a cruiser stern and was powered by a three cylinder triple expansion engine.

She operated out of Grimsby until August, 1939, when she was one of 20 vessels purchased by the Admiralty to be converted into anti-submarine trawlers.

She arrived at Smiths Dock, Middlesbrough (who incidentally were her builders), on August 12, 1939, and completed fitting out and conversion on October 12, 1939, with the Pennant No. FY 168 as HMS Spurs. She was armed with one 4” gun, three Lewis machine guns and carried 25 depth charges.

From October, 1939, until June, 1940, she was part of the 10th Anti-Submarine Group (with four other vessels) based at Dover.

During the Dunkirk evacuation, HMS Spurs was en-route to Dunkirk on June 2 when she was attacked by German aircraft and damaged. So she returned to Dover without rescuing anyone.



The rest of this article is exclusively for One Hotspur and MySpurs members only

LOGIN TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE