Now this was a proper trophy! And when John Cameron got his hands on it in April, 1901, nobody deserved it more.
True, he had to wait until team captain Jack Jones had lifted the cup at Burden Park following our replay triumph over Sheffield United where Cameron scored and Sandy Brown maintained his record of netting in every round of that epic campaign.
But it was Cameron who had masterminded that whole triumph. The highly-intelligent man from Glasgow was the club’s player-manager-secretary and such was his organisational skills that we won the Southern League for the only time in his first full season and he followed that up by taking us to national glory and prominence.
However he would resign in March, 1907, citing “differences with the directorate” - and within two years the Board managed the side.
It didn’t go well for Cameron after that. He left to coach in Germany where he was subsequently interned for the duration of the First World War!
However, it is the trophy we received at Bolton that we are concentrating on here. These pictures are of a replica that is on display in White Hart Lane’s Bill Nicholson Lounge.
It is a beautiful piece of work and, although much smaller, is far more attractive than the more prosaic looking one that is presented these days.
The first version, used from the inception of the Cup in season 1871–72, was stolen from a Birmingham shoe shop window while held by Aston Villa in 1895 and was never seen again.
The rest of this article is exclusively for One Hotspur and MySpurs members only
LOGIN TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE