Percy House is the new headquarters of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, and will provide an employment hub for the local community.
The prominent 18th century building is located on Tottenham High Road in North Tottenham, and has been renovated with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Heritage Statement gives a glimpse into historical importance of Percy House
Sir Hugh Smithson, Duke of Northumberland, had Percy House built in the early 1740s. Today, the building is about to become the new headquarters of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, and a vital resource for the local community.Smithson was the inheritor of the fortune and lands of the Percy family of Northumberland, whose ancestor Harry “Hotspur” Percy inspired Tottenham Hotspur’s name and its famous emblem of a fighting cock. The house’s history, however, reflects the more recent history of North Tottenham over the past 250 years – as it developed from a community developed from a dormitry village for wealthy city merchants to the lively multicultural community it is today. From the northward spread of London, through the industrial revolution, the arrival of the railways, the population explosion of the nineteenth century, and the arrival of immigrant communities from Eastern Europe, the Carribbean, Turkey and the Middle East, Percy House reflects in its fabric everything the borough has gone through since it was built. The full Heritage Statement is available on request by contacting Joanna Yeung, Heritage Project Manager for Percy House, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tottenham Hotspur Foundation links up with historian to tell the story of Percy House
Local historian Dr Peter Mitchell to undertake historical research on the listed building which will become the Foundation’s new headquarters.
Percy House was commissioned by Sir Hugh Smithson, a city merchant, MP and political powerbroker, in 1740. Smithson married into the Percy family, making him a Duke of Northumberland. Since then the building has had a rich and varied history, reflecting changes in the borough. A home for wealthy merchant families in the nineteenth century, it was later subdivided into apartments, used as office, and perhaps even played host to an illegal pirate radio station in the 1960s and 70s. The Percy name connects the house to Henry “Hotspur” Percy (1364-1403), the medieval nobleman and soldier from whom Tottenham Hotspur gets its name. “Percy House has a fascinating history,” said Peter. “In researching who lived here, and how they lived, we can tell a story about the whole history of Tottenham from the 1740s down to the present – what daily life was like, what role Tottenham played in U.K. and world history, and how it became the community it is today.”“We’ve got a fantastic range of artefacts recovered from renovation work in the building, and we’ll be doing research in local and regional archives working with museums and heritage associations, and giving talks and workshops in the community. There are some great stories to tell about Tottenham, and hopefully we’ll be able to tell some of them.”
The Tottenham Hotspur Foundation is committed to providing opportunities and programmes for all our communities. If you are unsure whether this programme is accessible to you, please contact the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation by email: email@example.com or by phone: 0208 365 5138 for more information.
View mobile site
© Tottenham Hotspur Ltd 2018. All rights reserved.
All photography copyright Getty Images (unless otherwise stated)